How to Hang Sheer Curtains
There are few ways to instantly elevate a space like adding sheer curtains. Sheer fabric brightens any room and exudes an airy, relaxed feel. Here, we’ll show you how to hang sheer curtains to perfection. You’ll be amazed at how they transform your space!
Order custom curtains from Spiffy Spools online in any size. We have over 1,000 fabrics and patterns to pick from, so you can match them to your home perfectly.
Select the Right Length
The length of your sheer curtains affects the statement you’d like them to make:
- Sheer curtains that just touch the windowsill will look more casual and tailored.
- Sheer curtains that just touch the floor will look elegant and breezy.
- Sheer curtains that puddle on the floor will look slightly more formal and opulent.
In essence, the longer and looser the fabric, the more flowy and dreamy your curtains will appear.
Choosing Your Curtain Rod
The color of your curtain rod can also affect the look of your sheer curtains:
- A black curtain rod will contrast with your sheer curtains. This will create a more modern, industrial aesthetic. If you already have black accents throughout your space, a black curtain rod will match nicely.
- A white curtain rod will blend in with most walls, crown molding, and sheer curtains, making it less noticeable. If you’re trying to really highlight your sheer curtains, a white rod is the best option.
- A metallic rod will be much flashier than a black or white rod. Only use a metallic rod if you have other metallic accents throughout the room that you can match it to.
Consider Heading Style
With your curtain rod picked out, you can then choose the heading style you want your sheer curtains to feature.
Heading styles that reveal more of the curtain rod are a great choice if you selected a black or metallic rod, because they emphasize the contrast in color. These heading styles include:
- Grommet tops
- Inverted box pleats
- Tab tops
- Tie tops
Since white curtain rods already blend in seamlessly with sheer curtains and most walls, you can really select any heading style you’d like. However, if you want to ensure the rod is completely concealed when the curtains are closed, use the following heading styles:
- Rod pockets
- Back tab tops
- Pinch pleats
- Pencil pleats
For more information on heading styles, view our Curtain Headings Style Guide
Layer Your Curtains
One downfall to sheer curtains is that they don’t provide much privacy. Luckily, there’s an easy way to fix this! When you layer your curtains, you can enjoy your sheer’s light-filtering effects while also maintaining your privacy.
To layer your curtains, you’ll need to purchase a double curtain rod to hold your two selections. Hang your sheer curtains on the back portion of the rod and your other curtain selection on the front portion. Make sure the top curtain layer features an opaque fabric such as cotton, velvet, or silk for best privacy.
We also suggest purchasing curtain tie backs. These stylish additions will hold your top curtain layer away from the window so you can fully enjoy your sheer selection when you want to. Then, when you’re ready to close your top layer for added privacy, simply unlatch the curtain tie backs and pull your curtains shut. These accessories are extremely helpful for maneuvering layered curtains!
Sheer Curtains Come in Many Colors & Patterns!
Cyprus Sheer Curtains
Chance of Showers Sheer Curtains
Sheer curtains don’t necessarily have to be white—although white does make a timeless statement! Sheers come in a variety of colors and patterns, so you can match them to your current décor any way you’d like. Whether you want sheer curtains featuring delicate tendrils or a soft pink color for a girl’s room, the options are endless.
Sheer Curtains Aren’t Just for Windows
Sheers look stunning on windows, but the lightweight, elegant design of sheer fabric makes it versatile enough to work in a variety of other contexts:
- Canopy beds. Hanging sheer fabric over your canopy bed will create a dreamy, luxurious atmosphere that you’ll love as you lay down to rest.
- Event venues. Hanging sheer curtains from the ceiling or wall of venue, such as a wedding reception, brings opulence and refinement to the space.
- Porch. Make your porch feel like a relaxing, tranquil getaway with the addition of sheer curtains!
Order Custom Sheer Curtains from Spiffy Spools
Now that you know how to hang sheer curtains for your bedroom, dorm room or even living room; start shopping our vast selection of sheers from Spiffy Spools! We make it easy to design custom curtains that fit your exact specifications and style. Explore our site to find the perfect sheer options for your home, and don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions.
ALSO READ: HOW TO LAYER SHEER & BLACKOUT CURTAINS