Roman shades have had an interior design presence since forever, with a construction that gains beauty from practicality and finds form in function. They are beautiful and low-maintenance, but what if you just want the look? Our faux roman shade valances will give you just what you want, at an even more affordable price point.
So if you love the look of a modern roman shade but don’t need it fully functional, our cost-effective, faux/fake roman shade valances will see you there.
These fake roman shade valances have a simpler design since they don’t fold up and down. This translates into a lower cost and fewer moving parts that can wear down over time, so they’ll beautify your interiors even longer.
Our faux roman shades are stitched with a 2.5 inch rod pocket, so they can be mounted inside a window frame with a tension spring rod (ideally one inch diameter) or outside window frames on a decorative pole.
Clients can choose any fabric from our collection – that’s more than 3000 choices – for their faux roman shades at a same affordable price. You can further accessorise your fake roman shades with any of our trims and tassels.
With fast and easy installation ensured by the rod pockets, Spiffy Spools’ faux shades can also serve as an emergency purchase for a quick transition to a new house. So if you have drapery poles installed already, they are perfect for mounting these shades.
Spiffy Tip: A faux roman shade doesn’t fold, so think of it as a static fixture and put special emphasis on length before your order. We advise a minimum length of 10 inches to avoid the shade getting cluttered with hems and folds, without ample visual space to show off the patterns. Do consider how much of the window you want to cover, and how much natural light you want to allow through.
Hardware NOT included.
INTRODUCING FAUX ROMAN SHADE VALANCES TO YOUR HOME
Being a cheaper alternative to fully operational roman shades, often clients who have budget constraints find faux shades suitable as a first-step window treatment. Over time, they can introduce drapery or blinds for the desired level of privacy and light control. Until then, the faux shade helps the window to dress svelte and offers a fair amount of softness and color to the room.
Our home decorators suggest faux shades for a versatile adornment for any style of home decor. And these are the tips to keep in mind when decorating your windows with faux shades:
STAND-ALONES: Faux shades do an excellent job of dressing up the window without any layered treatment. Hence, windows with the minimum requirement for light blockage and privacy can have faux shades as stand-alone. A stylist sees here an opportunity to add a layer, a texture, a color, and a soft furnishing to the home decor, saving your window from looking bare and unattended.
GO BOLD: Faux shades are versatile decor elements as their small occupancy allows for more experimentation with a bold hue or pattern, canceling all chances to go overboard. So, if you love turquoise blue or lemon yellow and are scared to get them in solids over bigger items like walls or furniture, go for a splash of it, just enough to do the job, in a stylish faux shade. When choosing patterned fabrics though, be wary of choosing grand-scaled motifs that will miss the required room to display their beauty in the best light.
COMBINE WITH DRAPES: For windows that need a more insulating treatment, pairing the valance with drapes is ideal. If you have a double curtain rod already installed, the job becomes pretty easy: install curtains on the inner layer and faux shades on the outer, in which case it will function more like a valance. If you have a single drapery pole, mount the faux shade on a tension rod inside the window recess and it will appear like a fully functional roman shade that’s layered with drapes.
ACCESSORISE: If you think that your faux shade, though such a tiny addition to the room should get its due attention and also air its custom look at the first sight, consider garnishing them with trims. Depending on your style of decor and the theme of the room in reference, you may select from solid grosgrain or velvet trims or patterned ribbon trims, or playful pom poms or tassels and gimps. These delicate details can go a long way to making your faux shade a true embellisher.
COHESIVE BLENDING: If your want your faux shade to feel more like a family than a guest, ensure that it goes hand in hand with the rest of the decor in terms of color and/or pattern. A no-fail recipe to achieve this goal is coordinated elements like bed runners, table runners, cushions, or pillows stitched from the same fabric as the shade. And what a great way to say ‘It’s bespoke’ without saying it! Explore our Accessories section to ensure this premium look for your home.
RIGHT-SIZING: The choice of window treatment highly hinges on the size of the window. whatever the size of the window, try to ensure that your faux shade covers a minimum of a fourth of the window’s height if you envisage it as a valance. When choosing the fabric pattern, take the desired length into account. If you’re ordering a relatively short shade, ensure that the motif is not too large, or you may not be able to show off the pattern in its entirety.
Spiffy Spools offers you tons of fabrics to choose from so that you may not miss your favorite pattern or color even by chance. And the pleasure is all ours to be able to decorate your beautiful homes, just the way you want, with our custom faux shades and all the soft window treatments that you desire. So, wish you a great time shopping with Spiffy Spools.
Unlike drapes and shades that often need surgical precision in measuring, valances are relatively forgiving and sizing comes down to personal preference to some extent. That said, we recommend the following guidelines to get started.
TIPS TO MEASURE LENGTH
- The ideal drop (vertical height) for most valances would be 1/4th plus 1 inch of the total height measured from the point of installation of the valance to the window sill. For example, if the total length from the top of your valance to the window sill is 48 inches, your valance drop should ideally be (¼ of 48 + 1) inches, which is 13 inches. Using that as your default drop, you can then make your valance a few inches longer to shorter based on space/window layout, and personal preferences.
- When measuring for a valance to be layered with curtains, it’s important to ensure that your valance is not too long or short relative to drapes. In this case, consider a valance drop that is 1/6 of the curtain drop as your starting point.
- For scalloped, swag, and sheffield valances, make sure you are measuring the length of the deepest point of the drop.
- If ordering valances with jabots, you’d also need to specify the length of jabots, which again is driven largely by personal taste. Some clients opt for dramatic jabots longer than the window itself, whilst other jabots sit a few inches longer than swags. Two most common guidelines are for jabots to be either one-third of the full drapery or window length, or double the drop of swag, with room for adjustments based on how demure or dramatic you’d like your valance to be.
TIPS TO MEASURE WIDTH
- While valance width can be taken to precisely fit a window frame, we do not recommend this approach. Instead, we recommend valances that extend at least 2 inches on either side of window trim to ensure proper coverage and finish.
- If layering valance with curtains, extend your valance up to 6 inches to allow room to stack curtains on the sides. This can be further adjusted based on size of window as well as fullness of drapes.
- If you’ve picked any of these pole mounted valance styles – rod pockets, tab tops or grommet tops – do factor in extra valance width required to gather these valances into rich pleats. While the level of fullness you’d like is a personal choice, we recommend fullness of 1.5x-2x for most valances. This means that if your pole is 36 inches long, for example, you’d ideally order a valance of width 48 – 72 inches to get rich gather.
SPIFFY BONUS TIPS
- When measuring valances intended to be mounted on top of another under-treatment like curtains or roman shades, leave a minimum 2 inches space between the drapery hardware and the installation point of the valance. This is to ensure free and easy operability of the layered window treatments.
- If you’d like to specify fraction measurements (.25, .50 or .75 inches) for your valances from Spiffy Spools, please note under the Special Instructions section at time of check out and tailors will pick up from there.
Curtains, Roman Shades, Valances, Dining & Bed Linen: Window treatments and dining/bed linen orders are targeted for dispatch within three weeks, though we are able to ship out many orders ahead of schedule. We use DHL or FedEx with typical transit time of 3-7 days. Majority of our clients receive their packages within three weeks from date of order, but if our pipeline happens to be busy – especially during holiday season – we do ask for your patience and aim for delivery in four weeks.
*Some drapes and roman shades with trims *may* take up to six weeks as our trims are sourced from Turkey & London, thereby adding to processing timeline in some instances.
Swatches & Fabrics by Yard: Fabric samples and fabric bought by yard are dispatched within 1-2 days and typically delivered within 7 days of order.
Cushion Covers, Tiebacks, Dining Napkins & Placemats: We do NOT sell pillow covers, tie backs, dining napkins or placemats standalone. These accessories are sold and dispatched only as part of window treatment orders. Please see above for applicable timelines accordingly.
If there are any delays due to non-availability of fabric, or holds by customs officials for inspection, we will write to you as soon as possible.
- All import duties and taxes are included in our prices for shipments to USA. For shipments to other countries including Canada, United Kingdom and other European countries, our prices do *not* include import duties and taxes that individual countries may impose. Buyers from these countries are solely responsible for paying any import charges once the shipment reaches their country.
- We cannot deliver to PO Box numbers so please provide non-PO delivery address at checkout.
- All our products require a signature for proof of delivery. After three delivery attempts, if no one is available to sign for delivery or the package is not collected from the depot, the shipment is returned to sender. We do NOT bear cost of return/refund in this scenario, and therefore request our clients to accept within the carrier’s timeframe.
For detailed information on returns & cancellations, please click HERE.
- Since each article at Spiffy Spools is cut and tailored to our customers’ exact specifications, by default, we do not accept any returns.
- From start to finish, every single product is manually handled from picking and cutting of fabric to sewing, ironing, folding and wrapping. In light of this rather intense human process, it’s not uncommon for end products to sometimes show minor signs of handling such as light tailor chalk marks, a rare stray thread, or specks of smudge from fabric production run. These minor flaws are unfortunately unavoidable, and we therefore do not accept requests for replacements or returns on these bases under any circumstances.
- We follow standard industry guidelines for constructing custom window treatments, which include articles sewn with joining hems to achieve custom widths. Since joins are necessary to achieve certain sizes, we do not offer any compensation, return or replacement whatsoever on account of necessary joining hems.
- We also recommend ordering a fabric sample before placing an order as computer monitors/device screens vary in colour and shade representation and we do not accept returns based on feedback on colour variance or personal aesthetic preferences.
- Under rare circumstances where we may have made a mistake, we do accept returns on a case-by-case basis only as long as any issues/faults are first communicated within five business days of receipt of merchandise.
- Cancellation of orders will result in a 100% refund only if work has not started on the products. Please note, in most cases, work starts on orders within 2-3 hours of order being placed. After that only the value of the order less costs incurred up to that point can be refunded. Since made-to-measure products are unlikely to be able to be resold, we do not offer refunds for cancellations after order is ready.