Kitchen Window Valance Ideas
Valances are gorgeous, decorative window treatments. These short, single-panel drapes cover the top fourth of the windowpane to nicely filter incoming sunlight and come in a variety of styles. Explore these kitchen window valance ideas to design the perfect option for your space!
Order custom valances from Spiffy Spools online in any style. We have over 1,000 fabrics and patterns to choose from, so you can match your selections perfectly to your home.
Board Mounted vs Pole Mounted Valances
Board Mounted Valance
Pole Mounted Valance
Valances can either be board mounted or pole mounted:
- Board mounted valances are created by wrapping a lumber board with the custom fabric you select. When you order from Spiffy Spools, you’ll receive a pre-mounted board with all the required hardware for easy hanging. This style of valance offers a more formal and structured look that’s great for sleek kitchens.
- Pole mounted valances are stitched with a rod pocket heading. To mount, simply slide the valance pocket onto the pole, and enjoy! This style of valance provides a relaxed, informal feel that’s perfect for casual kitchens. Note that there are two types of hardware you can purchase for your pole mounted valance:
- Single pole configurations are great if you’re hanging your valance as a standalone piece.
- Double pole configurations are ideal for layering curtains with your valance.
Select Your Valance Style
There are seemingly endless styles of valances. So how can you pick the best option for your kitchen? Here are a few tips to help you find the right style for you:
Minimal Ornamentation is Modern
Valances with little ornamentation offer a modern look. Styles such as our Faux Roman Shade Valances, Board Mounted Box Pleat Valances, and Board Mounted Modern Flat Valances have minimal pleating, shorter lengths, and sleek edges that all contribute to a contemporary feel.
Moderate Ornamentation is Casual
Valances with moderate ornamentation offer a casual look. Take, for instance, our Pole Mounted Inverted Box Pleat Valance, Pole Mounted Tab Top Valance, and Board Mounted Triple Pinch Pleat Valance. Each of these designs feature moderate pleating, less structure, and more flow, which provides a laid-back aesthetic.
Extensive Ornamentation is Formal
Valances with extensive ornamentation offer a formal look. One of the best examples of this is our Board Mounted Swag Valance. The excess, extra-long fabric is loosely pleated and draped over the sides and middle of the window for total opulence. Our Board Mounted Kingston Valance and Board Mounted Sheffield Valance offer plenty of ornamentation as well, featuring a combination of bold pleats and graceful, scalloped edges.
Carefully Choose Patterned Fabrics
Are you planning on dressing your valance in a pattered fabric? There are so many prints out there, but they may not all be right for a delicate window treatment. Specifically, large patterns can often overwhelm the soft look of valances. Plus, they usually get cut off at awkward intervals when placed on small valances, which may completely alter and diminish their look. Always be sure to consider the scale of the pattern before moving forward with your fabric decision!
FURTHER READING: HOW TO HANG CURTAINS WITH A VALANCE
Layer Curtains with a Valance
Do you enjoy the aesthetic appeal of valances but don’t want to sacrifice your privacy? Consider layering these your valance over your curtains to create the perfect kitchen window treatment! Here are a few tips for creating the perfect combo:
- Select a pole mounted valance with a double pole configuration. This is the easiest way to layer your two window treatments.
- Determine the top and bottom layer. This ultimately comes down to a matter of preference. Simply decide whether you’d like your valance to cover the top portion of your curtains, or if you’d like your curtains to rest on top of your valance.
- Thoughtfully design kitchen curtains. Your kitchen curtains should match or complement your valance in terms of design. They also should not exceed the length of the windowsill. This will prevent creating a fire hazard and keep them away from accidental splashes, spills, and splatters.
READ MORE: TOP FIVE KITCHEN WINDOW TREATMENTS IDEAS
Order Custom Valances from Spiffy Spools
We hope these kitchen window valance ideas have helped you find the right design for your space. At Spiffy Spools, we make it easy to create custom valances that will look beautiful in your kitchen. With over 1,000 fabrics and patterns to choose from, you can create the perfect valance that meets all of your design needs!
ALSO READ: BEST ROMAN SHADES FOR KITCHEN