How to Decorate an Apartment without Nails
One of the most common ways people damage their rental apartment is through the use of nails. But that doesn’t mean you can’t hang decorations. If you want to avoid damaging your walls (and get your security deposit back), here’s how to decorate your apartment without nails!
Order custom curtains and décor from Spiffy Spools online in any style. We have over 1,000 fabrics and patterns to choose from, so you can match your selections to your apartment perfectly.
Three Ways to Hang Curtains
Curtains can totally transform the feel of your space. While you might at first believe that you can only hang curtains in your apartment with nails, you’ll be happy to learn that there are several options to hang curtains without nails:
A tension rod is an inside-mounted pole. It holds itself up by applying tension to either side of the windowpane, making it a completely nail and hole-free hanging method. Tension rods come in a variety of colors and finishes, allowing you to match them to the rest of your décor. Or, you can choose to conceal the rod by selecting a curtain heading style without holes or gaps, such as a rod pocket heading.
Tension rods usually have a listed weight maximum. It’s important to keep the weight of your curtains in mind as you select your rod:
- The heaviest curtain fabrics include velvet and silk.
- Mid-weight curtain fabrics include cotton and blackout
- The lightest curtain fabrics include sheer and linen.
Command Hooks are versatile and non-abrasive, making them perfect for hanging pictures, mirrors, and all other types of wall art. But did you know that they can also be used for hanging curtains?
To hang your curtains with Command Hooks, take the following steps:
- Purchase a curtain rod and two Command Hooks
- Peel off their adhesive backings
- Place one Command Hook on either side of the window frame, at minimum two inches away from the trim
- Slide your curtains onto your rod, and place the pole across the Command Hooks
- Just like that, you can easily hang your curtains and decorate your apartment without nails!
While Command Hooks also have a listed weight maximum, their strongest options are usually more powerful than tension rods. However, unlike tension rods, Command Hooks can’t be concealed. If you want these hooks to blend in, we suggest selecting them in a hue that closely matches your wall color. Or, if you’re exposing your pole, choose hooks in the same finish.
Kwik-Hang Brackets are an extremely popular option for any space in which nails need to be avoided. These brackets are designed with left and right corner edges, and the bottom of each edge features two, sharp pins. To install them, the left-edged bracket should be placed on the top left of the trim and the right-edged bracket should be on the top right of the trim. Simply tap the brackets into place with a hammer and hang your curtains on a rod across them!
Technically, Kwik-Hang Brackets will leave a hole on the top of your trim. However, this location is virtually impossible to see, and the indention is comparable to what a tack would create. Kwik-Hang Brackets are also very discreet, come in a variety of finishes, and are the strongest non-nail option.
More Ways to Decorate
There are so many other ways to spruce up your space without nails. View these apartment decorating ideas for more design inspiration:
- Custom throw pillows. Add color and character to your apartment with custom throw pillows! You can design your pillows to express your distinct personality and flair. Place a few on your couch, accent chair, or bed for a transformative touch. Shop Now.
- Bed runner. Liven up your bedspread by designing a matching bed runner. It can be dressed in the same fabric as your throw pillows or created to complement your current threads. Either way, you’ll love the extra character a bed runner provides! Shop Now.
- Table runners and covers. Do you have a kitchen table, end table, or desk in your apartment? Each can be enhanced with a stunning table runner or cover. Although these are subtle décor elements, they lend a soft, sophisticated touch to any surface they’re placed on. Shop Now.
Order Custom Curtains & Décor from Spiffy Spools
We hope you enjoyed learning how to decorate an apartment without nails. If you’re ready to enhance your space, shop Spiffy Spools today. We make it easy to create custom curtains and décor that fit your unique style and measurements, with over 1,000 fabrics and patterns to choose from. Begin exploring our site to find the perfect selections for your apartment! If you have any questions along the way, feel free to contact us for assistance.
ALSO READ: HOW TO HANG CURTAINS IN AN APARTMENT