Roman shades are a wonderful window treatment with many benefits. Not only do they offer effective light control, but they provide your space with extra style and flair. For inspiration, explore these top roman shade ideas for your home!
Order custom roman shades from Spiffy Spools online in any size. We have over 1,000 fabrics and patterns to choose from, so you can match them perfectly to your home.
Benefits of Roman Shades vs Blinds
While you may be familiar with traditional blinds featuring slats that open and close, roman shades are created with a continuous piece of fabric that can be moved up and down to control light. This simple design offers some serious advantages over blinds:
- Less light leakage. Even when blinds are completely shut, the nature of the slats can allow light to seep into the room. Roman shades, however, completely cover the window when closed—blocking out significantly more light.
- More design choices. Design options are much more limited when it comes to blinds. With roman shades, however, you can select from an incredibly wide range of colors, fabrics, and patterns. The choices are seemingly endless!
- Great for large windows. Blinds can pose a logistical challenge when trying to cover large windows—the bigger they are, the heavier they become. Two sets of smaller blinds may need to be used to avoid hanging too much weight, which may not match the look you’re going for. Alternatively, because roman shades are made with light fabric, you won’t have to worry about them becoming too heavy, making them a perfect option for large windows.
Three Roman Shade Styles
When considering roman shades for your home, there are three main styles that you can choose from:
Flat Fold Roman Shades with Back Slats
Flat Fold Roman Shades with Front Slats
Relaxed Roman Shades
Accessorize with Trimmings
You can further customize your roman shades with a variety of trimming options! Explore the trimming ideas below, and browse the trimming collection we have available at Spiffy Spools to find the perfect accessories:
Pom Pom Trims
Add a bit of playfulness and cheer to your shades with pom pom trims! These cute little orbs can be stitched to the bottom hem of your roman shades for a delightful effect. At Spiffy Spools, we offer three unique pom pom collections for you to choose from:
- Our classic collection features the biggest bobbles in our lineup—our jumbo pom poms! If you want a trim that will stand out, these will help you make a statement. They’re available in 21 colors and are approximately 34mm wide.
- You’re sure to love our lush and plush velvet pom pom collection. Choose from a lineup of 23 colors with a trim width of 30mm.
- Select from eight trims in our most popular color palettes. These luxurious, fluffy orbs nicely contrast with a delicately embroidered band.
Ribbons trims are another fantastic way to dress up your roman shades. These playful bands come in two different textures and a variety of colors, so you can make a selection that perfectly complements the primary fabric and color palette of your roman shades.
- Ribbon Trim. This 38mm trim is handstitched 2-4 inches inside the bottom, left, and right hems of the shades for a unique look. Shop Now
- Ribbon Trim Borders. Our 38mm ribbon trim borders can beautifully outline your shades in the color and fabric of your choice. Shop Now
Create a dazzling effect when you add tassels to your roman shades. These lavish embellishments come in a variety of unique styles such as beaded, crisscrossed, and more for a unique flair. When it comes to tassels, keep in mind that the bigger they are, the more dramatic their effect!
Order Custom Roman Shades Today
We hope these roman shade ideas for your home help you select the perfect window treatment. If you’re ready to dress your windows in a new look, Spiffy Spools offers over 1,000 fabrics and patterns, making it easy to create custom roman shades that fit your exact specifications and style. Don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions!