Paisley Blackout Curtains: Merging Passion with Purpose
Any decor theme, we believe, can fall in love with the retro, vintage essence of paisley. But more magic happens when you take this bold and daring pattern and pair it with a room-darkening lining; the result – Paisley Blackout Curtains.
A high-performance blackout lining, when added at the back of your pretty paisley statement, promises to enhance the overall drape, hang, and insulation of your drapes. Simply put, paisley blackout curtains are truly rich in both form and function.
BENEFITS OF PAISLEY BLACKOUT CURTAINS:
- Simply to darken your rooms: Blackout curtains hold an impeccable ability to block unwanted outside light from entering your rooms. And when you have darker rooms, you can doze off peacefully regardless of the time of the day; very ideal if you are a night hustler and desire some peaceful, healthy sleep amid daylight.
- Noise-canceling: Blackout curtains also provide insulation from sound. Thus, when the unwanted light and the outside noise are restricted, your circadian rhythm, meaning your sleep-wake cycle is bound to improve. Your drapery’s noise-canceling ability will also ensure you are not disturbed while you are engaged in tasks that demand your 100% attention.
- Protects your furniture: Blackout lining helps a great deal in protecting your paisley curtains from being weathered by the sun, extending their life. They also help prolong the life and looks of your furniture, carpets and other soft furnishings in the same space, from the sun’s UV rays, which can have an aging effect on not just your precious skin but also on your pricey room furnishings. The blackout draperies reduce the in-streaming sunlight to limit the color fading and fabric fraying effects.
- Environment-friendly: What if I told you that your paisley blackout curtains can help you save on your utility bills? Yes, you heard us right. Windows are responsible for 10-25% thermal energy loss in a room, and your paisley room darkening curtains can help limit this loss and save you energy costs by as much as 25%. Moreover, at Spiffy Spools, we treat our blackouts with thermal coatings that keep sunlight out in summers and trap room heat in winters.
- Privacy shield: If you live in a densely populated neighborhood and often happen to see prying eyes peeping through, not anymore you have to worry about that. Your blackout curtains will stand as a great privacy shield. So let the inquisitive eyes remain far away – to where they belong!
These are some of the many benefits of adding blackout lining to your paisley curtains. As for coming back to the essence of paisley patterns, let’s just say there isn’t a print as passionate and powerful as a paisley!
In the 60s, John Lennon had his psychedelic Rolls-Royce painted with swirling motifs that were recognized as ‘paisley’ – leaving the decor and fashion world utterly awestruck and the new-found love for this pattern was discovered.
But paisley’s roots go much deeper, all the way back in the humanist, life-affirming philosophy and religion of Zoroastrianism in ancient Persia, where they were known as ‘boteh’ or ‘buta’ in 224 AD. However, it got its modern name from the Scottish town of Paisley in Renfrewshire, when paisley patterns traveled the silk routes from East to West in the 19th century.
Such an evolutionary journey may make you wonder as to how to deal with a print as bold as paisley in modern decor; well then, let our stylists break down its essence and show you the many ways you can decorate your homes with paisley blackout curtains.
- Vibrant vs monochrome: If a strong impression is what you are looking to make, paisleys can do that for you! Opt for fabrics featuring large-scale motifs in vibrant hues, like our ‘LAquila’ window drapes. Here, the traditional paisleys take an eye-catching avatar, featuring a powerful palette of springtime pinks and purples with touches of brown and black on a pristine white backdrop; simply a perfect accent piece for subdued spaces. Of course, for those passionate about interior design, and a little less about bright colors, there are plenty of demure paisleys to choose from. Single colored paisley embroideries – as featured in our ‘Dijon’curtains – are an incredibly popular way to bring this beautiful pattern into a more minimalist space.
- All-over paisleys versus floating motifs: If you like intricate detailing, then an all-over paisley like our ‘Hidden Harbor’ is what you should be eyeing! This exquisite fabric in hues of champagne beige, sapphire blue and pale aqua is a real visual feast for the eyes. However, if you prefer large-scale, spaced out motifs of the ‘floating-island’ style paisleys, consider something like ‘Sarno’ on a neutral background of cream.
- Layer for pared back paisley perfection: Can’t decide whether you want to go big, bold and busy with paisley or you want to stay simple and safe? Well then, how about both? Layer your windows with color coordinated solid roman shades at back, and paisley curtains at front simply to frame the sides. BONUS TIP: If you feel commitment-phobic about taking your old-world nostalgia for paisley to as far as custom curtains and roman shades, need not worry. Incorporate them as custom dining placemats into your kitchen or dining room, or for a stronger visual show, have them as table runners. You may also consider throwing in some pillows in your living room.
- Mix your paisley with other patterns: Our stylists – like many designers – are fans of mixing patterns and believe three is truly a magic number. If you are looking to mix n’ match your paisley blackout curtains with other patterns in your decor, we recommend bringing in herringbone and stripes; this trinity of patterns is a classic favorite for stylists and interior designers around the world. Imagine ‘Ariano’ fabric for your windows in a burgundy/teal/beige palette, all ready to vibe and blend with its soulmate fabrics like the striped ‘Jalapeno’and herringbone-patterned ‘Kilkenny’.
- Some paisley whimsy for your little girl’s room: Now not many parents fancy paisley for a kids’ room owing to its traditional and ‘grown up’ identity, but the kind of paisley patterns featured in Spiffy Spools’ collection totally breaks the myth that this ornate pattern is suitable only for formal or mature places! The modern-day paisley patterns have become a favorite of designers and stylists who are striving to give ‘age proof’ nurseries to their ‘little’ clients, rationale being that even as your little girl makes her journey from toddler to teen, paisley will remain as fresh and timeless as ever. So while the playful polka dots may have you shopping in a few years, soft paisley window treatments will simply grow up with your little one.
So what are you waiting for? Head over to Spiffy Spools’ collection of paisley curtains, choose what you love, and remember to add room-darkening lining to them. Let your windows brim with the magic of paisley blackout curtains.